After almost 40 years, Bipin Vora retired from UOP at the end of 2006. He continues as a consultant and advisor to UOP R&D and Marketing managements. Prior to retiring from UOP he was a UOP Fellow, a highest technical ladder position at UOP LLC., A Honeywell Company. Products produced today employing technologies developed under leadership of Bipin Vora from 1967 to present are valued at more than 15 billion US dollars per year.
After receiving B. Sc. (Hons) in Chemistry from K. C. College, University of Mumbai in 1963 he enrolled in Chemical Engineering at the University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM. In 1967 he received M.S. degree in Chemical Engineering and joined UOP. Over the years he has held several technical positions and was named UOP Fellow in 2001. Bipin has been credited to leading development and commercialization of several new process technologies, namely UOP OleflexTM process for propane and isobutane dehydrogenation, high conversion PacolTM, DeFineTM and UOP/Cepsa DetalTM alkylation processes for the production of linear alkylbenzenes, UOP InAlkTM process for high octane gasoline, and UOP/Hydro MTOTM process for conversion of methanol to ethylene and propylene.
Bipin has received several honors, among them are:
1. 2015 Process Development Practice Award, AIChE, presented at 2015 Spring meeting, Austin, Texas
2. in January 2014 he received Citation for his outstanding Technical Contribution to Chemical Industry by IIChemE-Bangalore Chapter and M.S. Ramaiah Institute of Technology, Bangalore, India.
3. In December 2013 he received Platts Global Energy Lifetime Achievement Award
4. In 2012 he was appointed as distinguished honorary visiting professor at Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Petroleum Technology, India
5. 2011 Chemtech (India) Technology Leadership Award
6. In 2009 he received Fuels & Petrochemical Division (AIChE) Distinguished Service Award
7. In 2005 he was recognized by Catalysis Society of India, IIChE and MS University at Vadodara, India
8. 2003 AIChE National Award of Chemical Engineering Practice
9. 2002 ACS National Award in Industrial Chemistry
10. 1999 Distinguished Alumni Award from the College of Engineering, University of New Mexico
He is a Fellow of AIChE and was elected in 2006 to a three-year term as Director of Fuels and Petrochemicals Division. He served on two Advisory Boards to the Department of Chemical Engineering 2000-2009, one at University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM and second at IIT, Chicago. He is a member of the American Chemical Society and member emeritus of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers and is a registered Professional Engineer in the State of Illinois, USA. He holds 94 US Patents and over 200 international patents. He has over 140 publications in various technical and trade journals, including contributions to Kirk-Othmer Encyclopedia of Chemical Engineering, Encyclopedia of Chemical and Process Design, Handbook of Detergents, Handbook of Heterogeneous Catalysis, Applied Catalysis and Studies in Surface Science and Catalysis.