AIChE and Valero sponsored a K-12 outreach in conjunction with the Spring National meeting in New Orleans. Over 160 high school students from two area schools were in attendance at Tulane. The program of events were as follows.
1. Presentation by NASA Astronaut Al Sacco, the first chemical engineering professor in outer space
2. Introduction to engineering and its sub-disciplines
3. How chemical engineers change the world
4. Lunch and chat with practicing engineers
5. Panel discussions with practicing engineers and engineering students and faculty
6. Interactive game with students
The students were very active and asked a lot of great questions. The picture of the event was taken during the panel discussions.