In order to better "...serve society, particularly where chemical engineering can contribute to the public interest..." as stated in AIChE's Constitution, AIChE’s Board of Directors has established a Public Affairs and Information Committee (PAIC), which reports directly to the Board.
PAIC is tasked with:
- broadening AIChE's activities and providing consistent information flow to and from federal government representatives on technical issues where chemical engineering expertise is needed
- providing the various Institute groups (divisions, forums, and industry technology groups) and members with information on issues under consideration by public officials
- guiding members and local sections in their interactions with state and local government and, when asked, providing leadership on local issues that can have a broader impact
- developing internship and fellowship opportunities for AIChE members in public policy positions
- providing information on issues at the international level, and
- working more closely with sister organizations in the evolving global economy.
PAIC, chartered in 2012, is a successor organization to the former Government Relations Committee.
Shale Gas Resource Page
To help AIChE members better understand and better communicate about shale gas, the Public Affairs & Information Committee has helped curate valuable shale gas resources. These resources offer technically sound information drawn from AIChE publications, web forums and webinars, conference proceedings and Congressional briefings.
Washington Internships for Students of Engineering (WISE)
Each year, outstanding engineering students are selected to spend nine weeks in a special summer program to learn how government officials make decisions on complex technological issues and how engineers can contribute to legislative and regulatory policy decisions. PAIC coordinates AIChE’s participation in the WISE program, which is ranked one of the best internship opportunities in the U.S. by the Princeton Review. For more information please visit: www.wise-intern.org
AIChE White Papers
- Energy Sources Integration, with Figure
- Framework for a 21stCentury United States Energy Strategy (by AIChE & ACS)
- Massive Electricity Storage - An AIChE White Paper
- LNG: A Viable Technology for Improving Gas Supplies - An AIChE Position Statement
- Are Fuel Cells Appropriate for Cars and Trucks? - An AIChE Position Statement
- Science and Technology to Meet our Energy Needs (by AIChE & ACS)
- On July 29, 2010, AIChE joined with the American Chemical Society’s Science and the Congress Project to present a Congressional briefing, “Chemistry in the Clean-Up: Oil Dispersants.” The event, with Senators Lamar Alexander (R, TN) and Jeff Bingaman (D, NM) as honorary hosts, was moderated by Deb Grubbe, chair of AIChE’s Institute for Sustainability. Maria Burka, AIChE President-elect, offered concluding comments to a record crowd. Speakers’ slides and videos and supplemental resources are available.