What does it mean in 20/20?
- It is important to communicate requirements consistently … down the street, across the country, and around the world.
- Currently, a variety of standards may apply to a single operation, including local, industry, national, and international, which have the potential to conflict with each other.
- Harmonized standards provide consistent guidance for design, operations, and maintenance, to support effective understanding of process safety risk.
What is the value?
- Harmonization of Standards leads to efficiency in conforming to applicable standards in local, national, and global commerce.
- Harmonization of Standards supports a partnership to challenge each other to deliver great process safety performance.
What can I do?
- Recognize the diversity in standards, be open-minded, and work towards harmonization of standards.
- Promote harmonization through active participation in standard and practice writing groups.