Read more about what is it?, why is it important?, where/when is it done?, who does it?, what is the anticipated work product? and how is it done?
To continuously improve upon process safety performance, it is essential that companies in the chemical and petroleum industries implement effective leading and lagging process safety metrics. CCPS has filled this need through a diverse, international effort leading to the publication of recommended process safety metrics. The recommended metrics can be reviewed in the document “Process Safety Leading and Lagging Metrics – You Don’t Improve What You Don’t Measure.”
- You Don't Improve What you Don't Measure Document (English)
- You Don't Improve What you Don't Measure Document (Japanese) (translated by SCE-net fom the Society of Chemical Engineers of Japan)
- You Don't Improve What you Don't Measure Document (Spanish)
- You Don't Improve What you Don't Measure Document (Chinese)
Other available resources include:
- CCPS Publication titled Guidelines for Process Safety
- PSI Evaluation Tool ver. 3.02 (ver 3.02)
- Driving Consistancy and Improvement, presented at from 2008 GCPS
- Process Safety Metrics Reporting System
- A customizable metrics presentation for CCPS members to download and adapt for their company. (Members Only. Please log in as a CCPS member.)
- Process Safety Leading Indicators Industry Survey
- You Don't Improve What you Don't Measure Document (Portuguese) (translated by Petrobras)
CCPS is pleased to release a focused set of three lagging Process Safety metrics to help industry monitor progress and drive improvement in Process Safety Programs. This Industry-wide Process Safety Metrics Reporting application is intended to provide an opportunity to collect and report the three lagging metrics. The information will be tracked by metric, year, industry type, and regions. While these metrics may not be perfect, CCPS recommends that they be used for 2-3 years to establish a base of experience before improvements are considered. Companies may use the CCPS Process Safety Metrics Reporting system to voluntarily report and benchmark coporate metrics.
Already a User?
Note: Public display of reported metrics data will become available once sufficient data has been collected to obtain statistical significance.
If you have any questions, please contact the administrator, Dan Sliva at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CCPS offers short process safety communications to aid industry in implementing elements of a good process safety program. These documents may be freely printed, downloaded, and shared. If you have ideas as to topics that would make good Safety Alerts, please send an email to email@example.com.
- Lock-Out Tag-Out Alert
- A Checklist for Inherently Safer Chemical Reaction Process Design and Operation
- Interface Management
- Reactive Material Hazards - What You Need to Know