The Chemical Reactivity Hazards CD is a self-paced teaching tool intended to teach people how to recognize and manage reactive chemical hazards. It provides an introduction to the topic and many online links to additional resources. The CD has three main objectives: Introduce reactive chemical hazard recognition, including hazards that can be present in facilities which do not "intentionally" practice chemistry; Provide an overview of tools for identifying reactive chemical hazards; and Introduce chemical reactivity hazard management tools and techniques.
The CD contains approximately 100 instructional screens with extensive links, graphics, videos, and supplemental slides. It can be used either as a self-paced tutorial or as an aid in lecture presentations. The CD shows how uncontrolled chemical reactions in industry can lead to serious harm and introduces key concepts for avoiding unintended reactions. The five main sections cover:
- three major incidents that show the potential consequences of uncontrolled reactions
- how chemical reactions get out of control, including consideration of reaction path, heat generation and removal; and the appropriate people, property, and environmental responses
- data and lab testing resources used to identify reactivity hazards
- four approaches for making a facility inherently safer with respect to chemical reactivity hazards, and
- strategies for designing facilities both to prevent and to mitigate uncontrolled chemical reactions.
The module concludes with a ten-question information quiz. An extensive glossary and bibliography are directly accessible from any page within the product.