When a CCPS sponsor representative reaches retirement age, he or she has attained a wealth of experience and knowledge of Process Safety. Most of these individuals have been dedicated to Process Safety over many years, and when they retire they wish to continue contributing for many years to come.
In the past few years, increasing numbers of active CCPS participants, some active over most of CCPS’ 20-year history, are reaching retirement age, and the numbers keep increasing. Many of these will not be seeking employment in other companies or doing more than occasional consulting, but they would like to remain active in CCPS.
Previously, retirees wishing to remain active have become staff consultants. We were able to accommodate most these requests where the retirees have possessed the necessary skills. Because the number of such positions are limited, this is becoming increasingly difficult, and a new way of keeping retirees active is needed. Therefore a class of Emeritus Members has been created. Such members would make both technical and financial contributions to CCPS, guide CCPS direction, mentor the next generation of CCPS, and in most if not all ways continue their participation in CCPS as they did when employed. To apply for emeritus, please call 646-495-1371.
A class of Emeritus Members has been created. Such members would make both technical and financial contributions to CCPS, guide CCPS direction, mentor the next generation of CCPS, and in most if not all ways continue their participation in CCPS as they did when employed. The details of the proposal are described in the CCPS By-law amendment ([Article III] Section 6 - Emeritus Members):
- A category of emeritus member is available to certain retired individuals with expertise and demonstrated leadership in Process Safety.
- To qualify for status as emeritus member, an individual shall:
- Have participated actively in the CCPS Advisory Board, Technical Steering Committee, or a CCPS project subcommittee while employed by a sponsor company (not including participation as a paid project contractor),
- Not be employed by a company or organization eligible for CCPS sponsorship or associate sponsorship
- Agree to pay his or her own expenses for participating, [e.g. Travel, food, and lodging]
- Be approved as an emeritus member for a three-year term by majority vote at a face-to-face meeting of a the Technical Steering Committee at which a quorum is present
- Pay introductory dues (initially $500 AIChE members, $700 non-members) and annual renewal dues (initially $50 AIChE members, $70 non-members)
- Alternatively, make an estate gift of at least equivalent value
- Actively participate as a volunteer in at least one project
- Emeritus members are eligible to:
- Attend CCPS technical steering committee meetings
- Volunteer for CCPS projects
- In the case of former Advisory Board members, attend Advisory Board meetings
- Receive free copies of new CCPS products for the projects they participate actively in
- Emeritus members are not eligible to:
- Receive complimentary copies of CCPS products other than as in III.7.3 above
- Vote on CCPS matters individually
- Participate in bid reviews