Major Turnaround in An Olefins Plant: A Process Safety Point of View
- Type: Conference Presentation
- Skill Level:
The process safety management in an industrial plant is a critical success factor for companies integrated in a global market.
The equipments should have maximized performance and operational runlenght without compromising process safety.
The challenge for excellence performance drives companies to use management tools for resources optimization with increasing in operational and safety performance.
Performing planned turnarounds are essential to ensure the process plant mechanical integrity and also a runlenght with safety, reliability and availability required by the company's business plan.
This work aims to present, in a practical approach, the application of Process Safety basics principles and management elements to the major turnaround of an Olefins Plant in the year 2011.
This application can be understood and emphasized in the various stages of a turnaround: planning, pre-turnaround, shutdown and decontamination, maintenance itself, commissioning and startup of the plant.
We can highlight elements of PSM and its application:
- Risk/ Hazard analysis: including the tasks risk analysis, permanent and temporary modifications that will be implemented, simultaneous operations that will occur and also business risk analysis.
- Contractors: inclusion of risk information, safety and training requirements as well qualifications of workers in the contractor selection process.
- Management of Change: understanding from small modifications that will be implemented, capital projects and major organizational change that occurs due to the large number of people involved, changes in shift and working hours.
- Mechanical Integrity: the main objective of a turnaround incorporating techniques of inspection, repair and test more appropriate.
- Training: specific safety training involving direct and indirect workers.
- Work permit: development of specific permit to work (PTW) systematic, especially for confined space.
- Incident investigation: creating workflow for reporting as well as a systematic for incident investigation.
- Emergency Planning and Response: development / improvement of emergency pre-plan due the increasing of people, as well as new incidents scenarios. Specific Crisis Management Plan for the event.
- Operating procedures: specifically designed for which steps of a turnaround: Shutdown, decontamination, commissioning and startup of the plant.
- Pre-startup safety review: creation of specific check-lists to assess process safety in operating systems prior startup.
- Audits: compliance audits for planning and maintenance itself.
The joint application of these principles intended to guarantee a Turnaround with Safety, Quality, Time and Cost appropriate.