Chemical Engineering for Non-Chemical Engineers
- Course ID:
- Type: eLearning (online) Course
- Skill Level:
Do you already own this content?
If you are already enrolled in this course, click here to access it in the learn center.
This online course is designed for technicians in the chemical industry and non-chemical engineers who work with or supervise chemical engineers as well as legal and other professionals who must interact with or manage chemical engineering work. It will overview the basics of chemical engineering calculations and design. Chemical unit operations covered include:
- The chemical engineering profession and what it covers
- Safety and reactive chemical concepts, reaction stoichiometry
- Chemical stoichiometry and unit conversions
- Momentum, mass and energy balances
- Fluid flow and pumping equipment
- Heat transfer and heat exchangers, cooling towers
- Mass transfer concepts, distillation, absorption, stripping/desorption, chromatography, ion exchange, and extraction
- Evaporation, crystallization, filtration, and drying
- Solids handling, characterization, transfer, and storage
- Process control
- Polymers and plastics
- Tanks and process vessels
Industrial examples are used throughout the course to demonstrate how the fundamentals of chemical engineering are applied in the real world.