Biomanufacturing for Chemical Engineers
- Course ID:
- Type: eLearning (online) Course
- Skill Level:
Do you already own this content?
If you are already enrolled in this course, click here to access it in the learn center.
This online course presents the fundamentals of biomanufacturing. It focuses on the unit operations utilized to manufacture biological drug products. After an overview of product types, processes, and current Good Manufacturing Practice you’ll address the maintenance of cell lines and growth of cells in a bioreactor. Topics such as mass transfer, process control, and product expression are emphasized. In the second half of the course, lectures focus on downstream unit operations that harvest cells, remove byproducts or contaminants, and fill the final bulk product.
Topics will include:
- Why and how biopharmaceutical production is regulated
- Typical biomanufacturing flow
- Basics of metabolism and nutrition requirements
- Examples of yield calculations
- Cell growth for industrial production
- Non-suspension cultures
- Solid-liquid separation
- Gravity sedimentation vs. centrifugation
- Centrifuge process and performance parameters
- Chromatography techniques by separation mechanism
- Viral clearance methods
- The ultimate goal of ultrafiltration/diafiltration (UF/DF):
- Protein concentration and buffer exchange